Thursday, April 13, 2017

#rammed earth build April 2017 Yippee It's Spring!!







Hello again,

The winter was long and cold AF, finally the weather is decent enough to work outside.

So i continued with the 2"x 6" beaming on top of the rammed earth walls. The plates are bolted down with 1/2" concrete anchors, triple 2" x 6" over the windows and doorways.

  

Then proceeded to start with the trusses, this is when it changes shape. How Exciting!
But first farm duties, we had our first calf.
 

There's quite the pile of trusses!


 To speed up the process i nailed joist hangers in position while on the ground to the two end trusses.



First one is up!


Top of the Morning




Coming together nicely


The excavator sure came in handy as i was working alone for a couple days


Starting to look like a house, not Stonehenge anymore.

So there's my progress, time to go back to my job. Just in time as I'm sore, lol.

I like how it is beginning to fit in with the background, feels like it will blend in nicely.







Thursday, September 29, 2016

Rammed Earth House Walls Are Completed!

Here we are finishing up the last full height wall and two window walls and an entrance.




 I'd sure like to lay around, Geez




 It rained for 3days right after the wall was done.



Greenbuilding passive solar earth house
 Well that's the walls, Wow!
It's taken us 2 years to complete these walls, so glad to be done. It's been a ton of work, but it's kind of cool what you can accomplish with a bit of drive.
 Crushed rock and some weeping tile.
So we're not done shoveling yet, palm face.

We are making a shallow frost proof foundation,going 4' instead of 3' just cause :)


Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The BIG ONE!

Here is the wall we have been dreading for awhile. It's twenty feet long, our longest wall.
It took 5 days total, two for set up and take down of the form and 3 solid days of ramming.
Don't kid yourself, this is a lot of work! It's been 4 or 5 days and we're still beat.










                                                          Yes I put an engine behind a wheelbarrow, lol.











                                                                                  adding some lime







                                                                                           Capped!




                                                   So this is what we ended up with after 5 days of hard work.


                                                               One wall and three window opening remain.